Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester is an easy to use, reusable mini-microscope that helps you identify your most fertile days and the ideal time to conceive.
When to use
Maybe Baby® Easy Ovulation Tester is a mini-microscope that shows the link between oestrogen and the salt levels in your saliva. As ovulation approaches, your oestrogen levels increase and this increases the salinity (salt levels) of your saliva.
When dried saliva is viewed under a microscope, the crystallised patterns that are formed by increased salt levels are different from patterns which form when salt (and oestrogen) levels are low.
By monitoring your saliva everyday and comparing the image of your dried saliva in the viewfinder, you can determine your most fertile days.
- At the beginning of your cycle oestrogen levels are low and your Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester will show a pattern of pebbles or dots.
- As you approach ovulation oestrogen levels begin to rise and a transitional pattern of ferns and pebbles/dots will be visible.
- Around ovulation, oestrogen levels peak and a distinctive ‘fern’ pattern will be visible.
- After ovulation, as oestrogen levels fall, a transitional pattern or a pattern of pebbles/dots will be visible again.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many times can I use Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester?
Your Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester can be re-used over and over. There is nothing further to buy or replace, other than the batteries, which may eventually need to be replaced.
How do I calculate my ovulation period?
The length of your menstrual cycle is the number of days from the first day of menstrual bleeding to the day before bleeding begins on the next period.
Use the Fertility Cycle Chart (<<insert link to Maybe Baby Fertility Chart document>>[KW1] ) to track your cycle. Mark the first day of menstruation as Day 1 and then mark up the patterns you see on your Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester. This will help identify your own cycle.
If you have a regular cycle you can use the table below as a guide to identify when you are most likely to ovulate. This is a general guide only and some women may find that they ovulate earlier or later than this period.
For those women with a regular cycle, an easy way to approximate the ovulation period is to subtract 16 from the number of days in your cycle and then add 4. For example, if you have a 28 day cycle, 28-16 = 12 (+4 = 16), therefore you are most likely to ovulate between days 12 and 16 of your cycle.
Should I start using the Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester on the days just before I expect to ovulate?
Unless you have very regular cycles and are sure of the days before you ovulate we suggest using the Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester mini-microscope every day so that you become familiar with your cycles. Some cycles may be longer or shorter and your fertile period can also vary. That’s why it is recommended to chart your cycle using the Maybe Baby Fertility Chart.
Will cigarettes/chewing gum/toothpaste affect the Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester reading?
Yes, basically anything that you put in your mouth (besides water) may affect the Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester reading as it affects your saliva. You need clean saliva to get a reliable reading.
Is Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester suitable for everyone?
No. Although Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester works for most people it will not work for everyone. Anything that affects oestrogen levels in the body may affect the results. This may include your age, medications, infections, breastfeeding and pregnancy.
High oestrogen levels may produce an ongoing ‘ferning’ pattern while low oestrogen levels may not be picked up by the microscope. Oestrogen levels can be tested by your doctor through a simple blood test.
Will breast-feeding affect my results?
Yes, if you are breast-feeding your results could be inaccurate. This is due to hormonal changes in your body.
Can Clomid affect the Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester results?
Yes, Clomid can affect the results of Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester as Clomid affects your oestrogen levels. For some women it does not affect the results but for others it does and this means that your results may be unreliable.
Does Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome affect the result on my Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) can affect oestrogen levels. Anything that affects oestrogen may affect the reliability of the Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester results as Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester works by measuring oestrogen levels in the saliva. This means that your results may be unreliable. If you suffer from PCOS, you should consult your healthcare professional for further advice.
Can Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester be used as a contraceptive?
NO. Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester is NOT intended to be used as a form of contraception.
Where can I buy a Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester?
Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester is available throughout Australia and New Zealand at most pharmacies and chemists. If your local chemist or pharmacy does not stock Maybe Baby, they will be able to order it for you.
Please ensure that you have not eaten or drunk anything for at least 3 hours before using the Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester as the saliva sample needs to be free of contaminants. Food, drinks, toothpaste, mouthwash, chewing gum and smoking will interfere with the results. Drinking water will not affect the results.
Download the Maybe Baby Fertility Chart for detailed steps on how to use.
We recommend that you take the sample first thing in the morning, before eating or brushing your teeth.
- Remove the protective cover (Fig. 1).
- Remove the viewfinder by gently pulling it straight out of the housing (Fig. 2).
Do not unscrew the rotating eye piece from the viewfinder.
- Clean the sample plate with the lint-free cloth provided (Fig. 3).
NEVER apply water directly to the sample plate or viewfinder.
- With a clean dry fingertip, place a drop of saliva onto the sample plate and spread a layer ensuring that you cover the entire surface (Fig. 4).
Gently glide any bubbles to the side of the sample plate onto the black area.
Saliva from underneath your tongue should contain the least amount of bubbles.
- Allow the saliva sample to air dry – only dried saliva will produce patterns.
Patterns are not viewable when wet. This should take approximately 10-15 minutes.
Do not use any heated appliances to reduce drying time as this may affect the patterns formed. View your results soon after the saliva sample has dried as prolonged exposure to air may interfere with the results.
- After the saliva sample has dried, reinsert the viewfinder into the housing cylinder (Fig. 5).
- Hold the Maybe Baby Easy Ovulation Tester up very close to your eye and press the light switch on the bottom. Rotate the viewfinder to focus the image until a clear pattern is seen (Fig. 6).
- Compare the image to the ones shown in this leaflet and record the results on the Fertility Cycle Chart provided.
- Clean the dried saliva from the sample plate with the lint-free cloth. If the dried saliva is hard to remove, moisten the cloth only with a small drop of water.
- Replace the protective cover.